archs at InstallFest?

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:42:18 -0700

My random thoughts, in no particular order

We need to get these issues resolved quickly.  The faster we set the ground
rules, the faster we can get the publicity ball rolling.

I think we should operate on the premise that we are installing Linux for
consumers, not businesses.  An Install Fest is NOT the place to address all
the issues that a business will bring.  Consumers are a more logical target
audience.

Re multiple platforms, if we have members who are willing to help install
Linux on Solaris/PPC/S390, etc, then we should make install help available
for those machines.

Re distributions, I think we should concentrate on the mainstream
consumer-oriented distros (i.e. Mandrake, Red Hat, S.u.S.E.).  Again, if we
have volunteers who are willing to help with Debian, *BSD, etc, then by all
means lets use their time and talents.

Re networking help, defining network topology/connectivity without having the
other devices handy may prove problematic.  A better solution might be to
have someone offer to go to the network location and help setting up the
network correctly and accurately.

Re registration, If the Install Fest is widely publicized, we <U>might</U>
have literally hundreds of people standing in line seeking install
assistance.  That would be incentive to hold more Install Fests.
Preregistration for other architectures and non-consumer-oriented
distributions, however, would be a good idea, if only to guarantee that we
have someone knowledgeable to assist.

In summary, let's not be restrictive about what we will install and on which
machines we will install on.  Let us ask that if someone wants something that
does not comply with basic ground rules (i.e. Mandrake/Red Hat/S.u.S.E. on
Intel hardware) that they at least contact someone on the Install Fest
committee to make sure that we will have someone available to help them.

On Tuesday 21 May 2002 02:37, you wrote:
> moin, moin,
>
> are we willing to put in resources for non-x86 ( upon prior request )
> installs at the installfest? I'd think we should at least offer PPC. It'd
> be awesome if someone showed up with and s390, but I doubt that'll happen
> :).
>
> Also, are we willing to work with *BSD?
>
> I figure we do Linux on x86 in general without registering.
>
> For any other architecture/OS combo we can either explicitly offer it the
> same as Linux on x86, offer it only upon request if we can be certain
> someone will be there to help with that combo or not make an offer to help.
>
> The latter doesn't mean we won't try if we feel like it the day of the
> installfest.
>
> We can:
>
> * not mention OS/proc combos at all
> * explicitly limit which OS/proc combos we can handle and whether or not
> people need to pre-request help
> * explicitly say which OS/proc combos we don't want to handle
>
> Those organizing the project get final say, but volunteering to help with a
> specific combo might make them feel more comfortable saying we can handle
> it.
>
> Also OS/proc combos could be dist/proc combos, e.g. Mandrake or Yellow Dog
> on PPC, but not debian on PPC.
>
> We can also explicitly say which *BSD and not have to cover them all.
>
> Are we willing to help with network/interoperability issues? e.g. if they
> bring down a Linux box and an m$ box are we willing to help them get samba
> working?
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

- --