Mozilla upgrade woes.

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 17 May 2002 08:47:04 -0700

KevinO wrote:

> Eric Richardson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using 0.95 tarball on Debian potato. I installed 1.0rc2. When I
>> fire it up it totally ignores all my profile info. I tried installing
>> over the top of the old install and that didn't work either.
>

> Leave the .mozilla directory in your home directory the way it is and
> the new verison should pick right up where you left off.
>
> Remove or hide your current mozilla install directory (/usr/lib/mozilla
> , /usr/local/mozilla ) wherever it is. I usually rename it from mozilla/
> to mozilla_sav/. That way I can go back and get something later, if
> needed, from the older mozilla directory.(plugins ?)
>
> Untar the tar file then cd into the mozilla-installer directory created
> by the tar command.
>
> As root, execute the mozilla-installer: # ./mozilla-installer
>
> Install per the directions, changing the installation directory if
> needed. I think you are better off if you install it into the same place
> has the last version WAS. Rename or remove the existing mozilla
> directory prior to running the install script. Install into the same
> place as last time.
>
> Mozilla will start running as root once the install is finished. Close
> the program and restart it as your normal user. All of your bookmarks
> and mail (if you use that) should still be where they were. At least
> most of your preferences should be intact - perhaps all.
>
> I'ven't* yet had much trouble bringing old pref.s, bookmarks or email
> into newer versions. I just converted a friend of mine from Netscape 4.7
> to Mozilla 1.0 rc2. Not a hint-o-trouble.
>
> Be careful not to damage the user files in the user's home directory.
> (nsmail, .mozilla, .netscape - if you have or had it)
>
> * Blatant, willful abuse of the language ;-)

Pretty nice, a double contraction.

I actually tried what you suggested but it picked up none of my settings
but didn't mess them up either. I may just have to try again. I do still
have .netscape nsmail and .mozilla.

I'll have to mess aroung with it again later. You didn't have to create
that script for multiuser did you? It was mentioned in the release notes
on the mozilla site.

Eric