How to upgrade Cisco 675 with linux?

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@pluglist.mybutt.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:20:03 -0700

JM wrote:

 > Sorry for the previous accidental post. What I intended to say was
 >

 > If the CBOS image is corrupted while attempting an upgrade, the
 > router can still be restored using the serial Xmodem transfer
 > process described in the Cisco documentation.
 >
 > If you do corrupt the DSL router, see it as an opportunity as well
 > as a problem.  You can get a free new 678 if you sound convincing
 > to a Qwest tech support representative.
 >
 > If you do everything exactly as described by the upgrade
 > documentation and the upgrade fails and renders the router
 > inoperable then the only possible cause is a defecting router or
 > defective upgrade software. If you are losing thousands or merely
 > hundreds of dollars/day because of Qwest or Cisco's defective hardware
 >  or software, Qwest will probably be glad to express ship a brand
 > new 678 for free. The cost to Qwest is nothing compared to the potential
 >  negative publicity.
 >
 > Typical scenario: Cisco 675 locks up 3 or 4 times/day due to CBOS defects
 >  documented at cisco.com, in newsgroups and websites.  The 675 has
 > to be power cycled to restore operation.
 >
 > Someone corrupts the CBOS image while trying to upgrade the CBOS
 > image with Kermit 7 Xmodem (transfer errors).
 >
 > Fearing that paying a single cent to the Evil Empire would cause
 > eternal damnation of one's soul, someone installs DRDOS and a free
 > "backup" copy of windows and uses Hyperterminal Xmodem to transfer
 > the CBOS upgrade image to the 675 running in the monitor mode.
 >
 > The free new 678 and spare upgraded 675 work flawlessly after the
 > CBOS upgrades.
 >
 > To the purist, using windows may be cheating, but purity may be
 > overrated in some situations.

I figure that I have a perfectly good OS GNU/Linux and I should be able
to do stuff with it. I also don't believe it needs to be done with
windows for the most part as it is easy to divert your attention from
learning Linux to using Win for lots of things so I choose to use Linux
for most everything.

I like the idea of getting a new modem. I certainly have paid qwest
enough that they can afford to give me a 90$ modem. I'd rather have a
GNU/linux based router but I guess cisco gets the cash for now.

I did try a Mac because there is one in the house but I had no luck with
that as the cable I had was non-usb and the palm adapter didn't work
either. I use the Mac for business software for the time being so I
can't be considered a purist but your point is well taken. Even Stallman
used UNIX to build GNU stuff.

Eric