How to upgrade Cisco 675 with linux?

JM plug-discuss@pluglist.mybutt.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 15:27:56 -0700

Sorry for the previous accidental post.
What I intended to say was ...

If the CBOS image is corrupted while attempting an upgrade,
the router can still be restored using the serial Xmodem
transfer process described in the Cisco documentation.

If you do corrupt the DSL router, see it as an opportunity
as well as a problem.  You can get a free new 678 if you
sound convincing to a Qwest tech support representative.

If you do everything exactly as described by the
upgrade documentation and the upgrade fails and renders
the router inoperable then the only possible cause
is a defecting router or defective upgrade software.
If you are losing thousands or merely hundreds of
dollars/day because of Qwest or Cisco's defective
hardware or software, Qwest will probably be glad
to express ship a brand new 678 for free.
The cost to Qwest is nothing compared to the
potential negative publicity.

Typical scenario:
Cisco 675 locks up 3 or 4 times/day due to CBOS
defects documented at cisco.com, in newsgroups and
websites.  The 675 has to be power cycled to restore
operation.

Someone corrupts the CBOS image while trying to upgrade
the CBOS image with Kermit 7 Xmodem (transfer errors).

Fearing that paying a single cent to the Evil Empire
would cause eternal damnation of one's soul, someone
installs DRDOS and a free "backup" copy of windows
and uses Hyperterminal Xmodem to transfer the CBOS
upgrade image to the 675 running in the monitor mode.

The free new 678 and spare upgraded 675 work flawlessly
after the CBOS upgrades.

To the purist, using windows may be cheating, but
purity may be overrated in some situations.
--
jm