How to upgrade Cisco 675 with linux?-update

Eric Richardson plug-discuss@pluglist.mybutt.net
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:08:12 -0700

Eric Richardson wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to get the CBOS 2.4.3 for a 675 and install it with Linux
> via the terminal port and a com program. I have tried connecting via
> modem serial port but I'm not really sure how to do the upgrade. I'm in
> routing mode so I don't think I can use the tftp procedure as the router
> doesn't have a IP address.
>
> Any help appreciated,

Thanks for the help / encouragement. I wanted to send an update on my findings.

I didn't know that the .exe format is a zip format - that is
interesting. I found a place on line for the firmware.
http://postyware.dyndns.org/cisco-firmware Note that the images are
different based on the original CBOS version. In my case this was 2.2.0.

I tried to use the tftp program to download the code but had no luck.
I'm using Debian 2.2 so I was able to apt-get tftp. I installed minicom
to communicate to the router but what I did wrong was I did not install
lrzsz which contains the kermit, xyz/modem stuff. I thought perhaps the
option were wrong so I went to look at the man pages for sx (send
xmodem) and it was there so then I knew I was a dummy. I found that the
lrzsz was recommended but not a dependency for minicom.

Finally, after I had the right software but still no luck, I decided to
try zmodem which didn't work and then ymodem which worked. I have no
idea why xmodem didn't work but ymodem did. I upgraded to 2.4.4 and all
seems well. I use FastQ and they are finding that the PPP mode rather
than the routing mode is more stable so eventually they will be moving
customers that direction.

Is anybody using the filtering, NAT, DHCP with cisco and what features
for the Linux firewall. Maybe this is better for another thread.

Eric