X-server to Windows 2000 client?

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 7 May 2002 18:29:08 -0500 (CDT)

> I will look at CynWin first.
>
> We did not want to use VNC thinking that it is a bandwidth hog.  Maybe I am wrong on that point.  Is VNC less or more of a bandwith eater than and X terminal server and a client?

I will say all things are relative.  I imagine that setting up VNC
(tightVNC preferred) will be nearly 100 times faster than setting up X
services on windows and thusly support and maintenance will be
proportional.

Furthermore, I think depending on the application it is quite feasible
that VNC will be actually better performing.

I would suggest (my opinion only) setting up VNC (as its much easier) and
testing the application.  If its too slow or eating too much bandwidth
than it might be worth investigating other options.

-Derek