X-server to Windows 2000 client?

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 07 May 2002 18:27:28 -0400

Maybe I am confused about what is server and what is client.  Let me be more clear on my end so that I am sure I understand the responses.

I want to run a program on a Linux box, testing a piece of hardware connected to that Linux box.  We then want to be able to remotely control that program on that Linux box from a computer running Windows 2000.

My understanding of the terms means that the Linux box would be the X server and I need an X client on the Windows 2000 box.  Correct?

Possible solutions for an X client on the Windows 2000 box:
-VNC
-A commercial program like Exceed, X-Win32, HOBLink X11, etc.
-CygWin (I did not know it could do this!)

I will look at CynWin first.

We did not want to use VNC thinking that it is a bandwidth hog.  Maybe I am wrong on that point.  Is VNC less or more of a bandwith eater than and X terminal server and a client?

Alan

On Tue, 07 May 2002 14:52:19 -0700 Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@qwest.net> wrote:

I use Exceed as my X-server under Win2k on my network for the linux clients.