OpenOffice 1.0 creating menu/icons

Tom Snell plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 04 May 2002 20:17:06 -0700

Alan Dayley wrote:
> These instructions did not work for me.  It says in steps 6,7,8 to do the
> user portion of the setup but it does not say to logout from root.
>
> Then, if you do these steps as root, it wants to install in the /root
> directory not the /home/user directory.  I specified the /home/user directory
>
> Step 8 then says to do a "normal" install but the only choices it provides
> are "Workstation" or "Local"  I tried Workstation because Local uses up
> another 210MB of storage space.
>
> After all this, as user I could run /home/user/OpenOffice.org1.0/soffice but
> it would hang and I had to kill it.  AND, the menus and icons did not display.
>
> Back on the original install (step 4) I choose to include only KDE
> integration, deseleting Gnome integration.  Is that a problem?  This is a
> straw I am grasping at, a bug in the install script or something.
>
> Either I am not doing something right or I am not impressed by the
> installation process.  Either way, I am too tired to play anymore today.
>
> Alan

Alan,

Yes, I think you missed a critical step, one that has always existed in
StarOffice, and one that makes the install somewhat unintuitive.  The
installation instructions are quite clear now, but it's still easy to
miss it.  This is what you'll need to do at this point:

1) Log in as root, run ./setup from wherever you installed
OpenOffice1.0, and choose to UNINSTALL everything.

2) Once you've completely uninstalled everything you'd installed to
begin with, start all over, but this time, after logging in as ROOT, run
"./setup -net".  It will want to install to "/root", but you'll want to
put it elsewhere, of course (I opted for /opt...but you may want to go
with "/usr/lib", as I think the executable startup scripts are looking
for that directory by default...anyone had any problems starting the
apps once they're installed?).

3) Once you've completed the installation as root, then log back in
under your user account, go to the OpenOffice1.0 directory, and this
time run only "./setup" (notice you are now dropping the "-net" switch).
  Select the "Workstation" option this time, as that will install some
basic files in an OpenOffice directory in your HOME directory.

4) This SHOULD work (it has in every install of StarOffice I've done
over the past few years), but I've run into some problems myself.
'Write' came up when I first completed the install, but after I closed
it out, I've never been able to get any of the apps to run again.  And
I've tried from the K menu, from CLI, etc., etc.  I was getting 'library
not found' errors, so I softlinked OO's 'program' folder (which contains
a bunch of static libraries, plus the binaries) to /user/lib/openoffice,
then added the path to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran /sbin/ldconfig (as root
of course).  But I still can't get the OO apps to run, even though I
think I followed all the instructions properly (I even got OO to point
to my JRE 1.3.1 properly).  So I'm at a loss at this point....the
OpenOffice.org guys changed the scripts around, or I'm not doing
something right....

Tom Snell

--
       __

  Red Hat 7.2  Kernel 2.4.9-21   XFree86 4.1.0   KDE 2.2.2

One Net to rule them all, One Net to find them,
One Net to bring them all, and Open Standards bind them.