RMS (again)

Robert A. Klahn plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 4 May 2002 02:12:47 -0700

Other than some electronic interaction many years ago (circa 1995) around EMACS, I too have not met RMS. But, he is clearly a zealot (*) when it comes to free software. His larger point around the name of what we call Linux is, I think, well taken. The name "Linux" ignores the fact that the overwhelming majority of the code that the Operating System is based upon is not really "Linux", as in, its outside the kernel, and is based upon work that, in fact, predates the Linux kernel.

Zealots don't make the best spokespeople, but are often the ones who change things for the better. The success of Linux is built upon the groundbreaking work of RMS, (and GNU and FSF as a whole), and is a debt of such magnitude that it probably cant ever be repaid in full. If calling our favorite OS "GNU/Linux" takes us closer to repaying that debt, or at least giving credit where credit is due, then I'm all for it.

Bob.

(*) n: a fervent and even militant proponent of something

On Fri, 3 May 2002, der.hans wrote:

> Am 03. May, 2002 schwätzte Todd Hought so:
>
> > Agreed. I've never had the opportunity to meet him, but I've heard he's
> > about as friendly as 40 grit sandpaper. Yep, he's got a good cause, but
> > the worst execution of said cause I've ever seen. Kinda like the Ford
> > Pinto, good idea, poor execution.
>
> RMS has a good idea and a good vision. His method of implementation isn't
> very open to letting others do as they desire :(. His view is that they're
> taking his freedoms, so he's willing to fight against that. I think that's
> understandable even if I don't agree with the way he does it.

Yep, problem is, it seems that he feels that EVERYONE is trying to take
his freedoms, be it by making proprietary, bad software,
<sarcasm> or by that most heinous of crimes, not saying 'GNU' in front of
the word 'Linux'
</sarcasm>

> GNU and the FSF should have someone else be the mouthpiece. At the same
> time, I'd like to have him back if we think we can get people interested in
> talking. Maybe this time do more intro for the various groups in town, etc.
>
> > If anyone does happen to go see him, my next-door neighbor is a barber,
> > and quite a nice guy, I'm sure he'd donate a haircut and beard trim to the
> > FSF.
>
> Blasphemer!

OK, let me rephrase, he doesnt need a haircut, maybe just a lesson in what
a brush is and how to use it.

And no offense intended to you, ya LongHair, I know you are an
exceptionally normal person. :-)

> > In fact, I personally challenge RMS to come up with a business plan based
> > on the creation of Open Source software that does NOT involve living in
> > one's own office at MIT or 'selling tech support'.
>
> As Derek has already pointed out that's a challenge for ESR not for RMS.
>
> What's wrong with 'selling tech support'? That's where the big bucks are.
> m$, other software vendors and hardware vendors make tons of money off that.
> The real quote should be on 'selling' since, for instance, you have to pay
> m$ to report a bug in their software.
>
> RedHat is doing well with a mostly Free Software model. The ogg/vorbis guys
> seems to be doing so as well if they can avoid patents, etc. SuSE lost out
> in the .us, but is still doing well in Europe. I believe TurboLinux is still
> doing well in .jp and I think Yellow Dog is somewhat stable here.
>
> The real inhibitor to Free Software companies is the m$ monopoly. The income
> rolling in from 25% of that market would keep lots of geeks off the streets.
> If it weren't for the monopoly and proprietary protocols/formats we would
> easily have 25% of that market.
>
> Their lock on protocols/formats is dissolving. I think that opens the door
> for Free Software and gives us the chance to break the monopoly. Only the
> Free Software model is in a position to do that.

Anyhew, I guess what it boils down to is that when you're just a regular
guy living in your work office, not bathing and looking generally freaky,
you're weird. When you're famous, it's just "being colorful"