NFS,ssh,telnet,diskless

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 May 2002 15:34:14 -0700

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 14:00, mazdaracer wrote:
> Looking at what needs to be running for a diskless box, I figured I'd
> make sure I can get all the services running before I make the diskless
> leap.
>
> My main box and laptop run Mandrake 8.1 with the laptop dual booted (my
> work laptop). I've gotten DHCP working on the main box and can get an IP
> from it when I boot the laptop.
>
> The setup I have in the main box is with 2 NICs. eth0 is connected to
> the world with ip 64.ww.xx.yy. NIC 2 eth1 is local with 192.168.0.1 and
> is the gateway for the laptop's internet connection wheather w2000 or
> Linux and it works fine.
>
> Trying to get NFS is the next task. I seem to be able to get it up on
> the main box, but when I 'mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/mnt/shared
> /mnt/share1' I get no response.
>
> Here's my /etc/exports:
> [pete@rotor xinetd.d]$ cat /etc/exports
> /shared 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
> /misc 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
> [pete@rotor xinetd.d]$
>
> [pete@rotor xinetd.d]$ cat /etc/hosts.allow
> #
> # hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> #
> ALL: 192.168.0.0/24, 64.32.170.94, 64.32.170.92
> [pete@rotor xinetd.d]$ cat /etc/hosts.deny
> #
> # hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
> #               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
> #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
> #
> # The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
> # the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
> # you should know that NFS uses portmap!
> #
> ALL: ALL
> ALL: 192.168.0.12
> ALL: 192.168.0.12
> ALL: 192.168.0.12
> [pete@rotor xinetd.d]$
>
> I don't know where the .12 is coming from. I didn't enter that. What is
> writing this file? .12 at the moment is my w2k laptop that I'm trying to
> use to telnet into the main box.
>
> Anyway I had the same issue with ssh from Linux laptop to main box
> getting an error I don't remmeber at the moment. 2ndary problem.
>
> Been surfing to look for NFS help and followed the HOW-TO, but it's not
> quite getting there.
>
> I'm thinking that there is a 'tinyfirewall' problem but I just went thru
> it and ensured telnet, ftp and others where on.
>
> Just got rid of the .12 entries in deny, but doesn't do anything right
> away.
>
> I also looked in the /etc/xinetd.d dir and added a telnet entry:
>
> service telnet
> {
>         flags       = REUSE NAMEINARGS
>         protocol    = tcp
>         socket_type = stream
> [...]
----
I would bet that telnet server doesn't start automatically - most
distro's don't start telnet automatically anymore - they use ssh - you
should too - telnet is well...telnet

netstat -an|grep :23

that will come up blank if telnet server isn't running, it will come up
like...
tcp	0	0.0.0.0:23	0.0.0.0:*	LISTEN
if it is running

for NFS - you have to create the 'export'

man exports

see /etc/exports

Craig