NFS,ssh,telnet,diskless

mazdaracer plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 03 May 2002 14:00:09 -0700

Looking at what needs to be running for a diskless box, I figured I'd
make sure I can get all the services running before I make the diskless
leap.

My main box and laptop run Mandrake 8.1 with the laptop dual booted (my
work laptop). I've gotten DHCP working on the main box and can get an IP
from it when I boot the laptop.

The setup I have in the main box is with 2 NICs. eth0 is connected to
the world with ip 64.ww.xx.yy. NIC 2 eth1 is local with 192.168.0.1 and
is the gateway for the laptop's internet connection wheather w2000 or
Linux and it works fine.

Trying to get NFS is the next task. I seem to be able to get it up on
the main box, but when I 'mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/mnt/shared
/mnt/share1' I get no response.

Here's my /etc/exports:
[pete@rotor xinetd.d]$ cat /etc/exports
/shared 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
/misc 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
[pete@rotor xinetd.d]$

[pete@rotor xinetd.d]$ cat /etc/hosts.allow
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
ALL: 192.168.0.0/24, 64.32.170.94, 64.32.170.92
[pete@rotor xinetd.d]$ cat /etc/hosts.deny
#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!
#
ALL: ALL
ALL: 192.168.0.12
ALL: 192.168.0.12
ALL: 192.168.0.12
[pete@rotor xinetd.d]$

I don't know where the .12 is coming from. I didn't enter that. What is
writing this file? .12 at the moment is my w2k laptop that I'm trying to
use to telnet into the main box.

Anyway I had the same issue with ssh from Linux laptop to main box
getting an error I don't remmeber at the moment. 2ndary problem.

Been surfing to look for NFS help and followed the HOW-TO, but it's not
quite getting there.

I'm thinking that there is a 'tinyfirewall' problem but I just went thru
it and ensured telnet, ftp and others where on.

Just got rid of the .12 entries in deny, but doesn't do anything right
away.

I also looked in the /etc/xinetd.d dir and added a telnet entry:

service telnet
{
        flags       = REUSE NAMEINARGS
        protocol    = tcp
        socket_type = stream
        wait        = no
        user        = telnetd
        server      = /usr/sbin/tcpd
        server_args = /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
}

I didn't know how to restart it, but went into linuxconf and thought
that may have done it, but when I did a ps -aux I didn't see telnet.

In the meantime, I'll keep searching. Any pointers etc will be
appreciated!  This is all fun, but aggravating at times!!

pete