Name resolution in a Windows environment

Thu, 2 May 2002 13:34:11 -0700 (MST)

Am 02. May, 2002 schwätzte Carl Parrish so:

> Okay now after getting some sleep I'm thinking perhaps I'm not
> connecting to their proxy server correctly (I know this could effect my
> browser but would it effect my networking? ping etc...?). What should I
> look at to see if my proxy settings are correct. Bringing up netconfig
> didn't have a proxy option so I'd rather look at the config files.

Proxy should only be http, ftp and a couple of other things. I presume the
proxy is for getting to the Net, so shouldn't affect internal traffic. Also,
you said pings to the IPs work, so it's not the proxy getting in the way for
the networking.

Do you need to go through the proxy for DNS?

Finally, if the m$ machines are hitting each other using WINS stuff and none
of that info is in DNS, then you can't get it unless theres a WINS -> DNS
translator that can be used inline. Was someone yesterday saying you can get
Samba to do that?

ping and all the most other *NIX tools use IP not netbios, so they're not
going to know about WINS. If the names aren't in DNS, then the *NIX utils
aside from Samba and friends aren't gonna be able to use the names.

They're gonna have to move to DNS rather than WINS anyway. m$ is phasing out
WINS.

ciao,

der.hans
--