More on RH install

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 1 May 2002 14:58:25 -0700

On May 1,  4:24pm, <cparrish@cox.net> wrote:

> Okay its NOT my disks.  I finally gave up and purchased some
> official RH disks did the install and got the *same* error.  However
> RH 7.1 is now running on the same box without a problem.  So at
> first I thought that perhaps it was the ext3 file system so I
> changed over to ext2 (after all *that's* working under RH 7.1) but
> no still same error.  Anyone have any ideas on what I'm ruuning up
> against here?

This is the kernel NULL pointer dereference problem, right?

As I recall from your previous message, you were working on ruling
out memory problems, right?

It occurs to me that it could be a kernel problem.  If you have enough
space on your disk, you could install RH 7.1 in one partition, and RH
7.2 in another partition.  Then, using 7.1, fetch a kernel update for
7.2 from Red Hat.  Then, mount the 7.2 partition, copy over the kernel
RPM to some convenient location.  Do a chroot to the 7.2 system's /
filesystem and use rpm to install the kernel.  Once that's done,
hopefully, you'll be able to boot into 7.2...

Kevin