Filesystem wars! (was Re: woody CDs :()

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:58:28 -0700

On Mar 20,  2:34pm, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> Distro wars are passe', time for some filesystem wars maybe?  :-)

I was hoping to see more discussion on this topic...

> I've been using ReiserFS for a while now.
[...]

I have one ReiserFS partition, but I don't use it much.  The thing
that scares me about ReiserFS is that I've heard there are (were?) NFS
compatibility problems.  Also, I've heard tales of filesystem corruption
with ReiserFS.  Perhaps these problems are fixed now; I haven't checked
recently.

I'm still using ext2 and ext3 for most of my filesystems.

> What advantages does XFS have?  Maybe more tried-and-true due to age?
> Do you suppose its acquired stability has completely survived the porting
> to Linux?

There's also JFS from IBM.

> BTW if anybody is using Coda successfully I could use help with that too.

I played around with Coda recently, but there was a pretty severe bug
that prevented me from going very far with it.  It looks to me like
this is a dead end project; I think the Coda developers have switched
to Intermezzo.

> Meanwhile Intermezzo seems too immature and only works on top of an ext3
> filesystem.

I concur.

Kevin