Resizing Linux Partition (parted or ext2resize)

Sun, 24 Mar 2002 04:53:51 -0700 (MST)

Am 22. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Gene Holmerud so:

> I've copied my Linux "/" partition (using Norton Ghost) to a larger
> partition on a new new drive.  Well, "df" command still shows the old
> size.

Better yet is to partition and create a filesystem, then copy the files
over.

mke2fs for ext2. Look at manpage for mkfs the mkfs.* commands.

# cd /where_youre_copying_to
# TARC=/var/tmp/tar_create_err
# TARX=/var/tmp/tar_extract_out
# TARXERR=${TARX%out}err
# tar clvf - -C / 2>$TARC | tar x --atime-preserve -pvf - >$TARX 2>$TARXERR

I think that'll work. Test it :).

Verify soft and hard links get treated properly as well as device files.

It should maintain timestamps on directories for you.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://home.pages.de/~lufthans/   http://www.<ThisSpaceAvailable>.com/
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans