O/T SPAM

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 07:08:14 -0700

technomage wrote:

> well,
> the idea is sound in theory. however, there is the additional problem of
> unneccessary network traffic generated as a result (as well as a lot of
> pissed off people that may find out who you are).
>
> Not worth the effort. just filter and delete..

that is fine until you get into the situation where I find myself...

I get on the upward of 100 to 200 email messages a day (probably 25-50%
spam).  Yes I have filtering turned on, but then I find things getting
dumped into my filter folder that needs to be addreses -- like my boss
sending me the damned lab scedule as an HTML attachment!  So I have to
periodicly look at things.  I got one just two days ago that was labeled
urgent notice (or some such), it missed my filter (and I am still trying
to figure out that one), and I was tired enough that I opened it up --
it was an HTML advertisement from some damned porn company.  The very
next day I end up receiving 3 similar advertisements...  And this all
started when I was web searching for a image processing package named
TINA.  I landed on some wierd site that had a blank page that only said
enter and like a damn fool I did because I thought they might have
javascript turned on or somethin...

  EBo --