now what :)?

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:58:33 -0800 (PST)

Hey all,
Well I've been using slackware 8.0 for a little while
and little by little I'm becoming more comfortable
with it (I'm actually more comfortable with FreeBSD at
the moment). I can work myself around the file system
and do simple system administration tasks. What I
really want to do though is get all my software in
order. My question is how do I go about keeping
current with slackware? I see where I can download the
2.4.5 kernel source and I am working on compiling a
new kernel (right now I'm at 2.2.19). How do I go
about keeping up with the rest of the changes though.
Do you all keep up with the new versions of the core
programs found in /bin? how current should my system
be? To me it doesn't seem like the CLI or editing a
few text files is what scares away new users (me :)),
it's keeping up with the software. Any advice?