cox and accessibility

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:41:29 -0700

> "In order to access our site you must have one
> of the following browsers: ...

Hans, what pages don't work for you?
Can you give us a URL?

I just went to support.cox.net with Opera 6.01 under Win98se
(identifying itself as Opera), and also with Lynx under
Linux.  It doesn't seem to have a problem with most of the
pages.  I logged in and went to the page where you maintain
your multiple e-mail accounts, and it looked like everything
was working, even in Lynx.

I didn't try to FINISH any maintenance commands.  And
of course the pages looked terrible in Lynx, but you
can't legislate common courtesy ...

In Opera I clicked on one item about removing installation
tools or something, and I got an "error loading plugins".
That's a bug, but it's not necessarily bigotry.

I also browsed around their PR pages at www.cox.com with
Opera, and that seems pretty compatible.

They may have the usual blindness about obscure browsers,
but if they accept Opera and Lynx then they may already be
moving in the right direction.  Which means they'd probably
be responsive to gripes, sent to feedback.cox.com.

The gripes would have to be phrased diplomatically,
pointing out (if this is the truth) that the error message
you saw is the main problem rather than any real
compatibility issues which would cost money to fix;
thus you can define it as a PR issue for them.

Sheesh, I still run into the "this site requires frames"
message on a lot of sites.  At least they're not doing THAT.

Vic

--

Let me be a part of the solution:
 http://www.newearth.org/~victor/resume.html