Monitoring network usage and traffic

Leonard, Robert B Mr EACH plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:05:55 -0600

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CA09.B3639990

If your going to use MRTG which I use extensively, do your server a favor,
and implement it with rrdtool, also found on the same site as MRTG.  It's a
backend database.

Using various CGI scripts you build your graphs on the fly as required,
rather than the MRTG way, which builds graphs every 5 minutes whether you
need 'em or not.

This takes up valuable cycles, and if you are monitoring numerous targets,
might cause your mrtg.cfg file to overlap itself.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lonnie Clardy [mailto:lonnie.clardy@alphaomegaconsulting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 9:50 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Monitoring network usage and traffic

I am in the process of evaluating a few traffic and network usage monitors
and I just wanted to get some suggestions from the list regarding
applications I should consider.

This tool will be running on a RedHat 7.1 machine acting as a router and
firewall between an internal network and the internet.

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Lonnie Clardy
Alpha Omega Consulting
http://www.alphaomegaconsulting.com
Phone - 480-855-7474
Fax - 775-249-9407

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1CA09.B3639990

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Monitoring network usage and traffic</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>If your going to use MRTG which I use extensively, do =
your server a favor, and implement it with rrdtool, also found on the =
same site as MRTG.&nbsp; It's a backend database.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Using various CGI scripts you build your graphs on =
the fly as required, rather than the MRTG way, which builds graphs =
every 5 minutes whether you need 'em or not.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This takes up valuable cycles, and if you are =
monitoring numerous targets, might cause your mrtg.cfg file to overlap =
itself.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Lonnie Clardy [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:lonnie.clardy@alphaomegaconsulting.com">mailto:lonnie.cla=
rdy@alphaomegaconsulting.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 9:50 AM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Monitoring network usage and traffic</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I am in the process of evaluating a few traffic and =
network usage monitors and I just wanted to get some suggestions from =
the list regarding applications I should consider.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>This tool will be running on a RedHat 7.1 machine =
acting as a router and firewall between an internal network and the =
internet.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I look forward to hearing your advice.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Thanks,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Lonnie</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Lonnie Clardy</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Alpha Omega Consulting</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://www.alphaomegaconsulting.com" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.alphaomegaconsulting.com</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Phone - 480-855-7474</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Fax - 775-249-9407</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>