RH7.2 install weirdness

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:30:39 -0700

> > > So my question is, how the bloody hell do I get the RH installer to load
> > > the dac960.o module so it can find the RAID Array and let me install it?
> > > I can use expert install mode, but don't have a copy of that module to put
> > > on a floppy for the installer to use.
> >
> > Switch to the shell on the second virtual terminal and look through
> > /lib/module/<kernelversion> for the module. If you find it try using
> > modprobe or insmod on it. It should be there if RH recognized it for the
> > other box.
>
> OK, switched to term 2 (alt + F2).  First took a look at what modules it had
> loaded, then tried an insmod dac960.  Didn't load anything and I didn't see any
> errors.  Tried to find the module itself, but it must be inside the
> /modules/modules.cgz file and I don't know how to open that file up to get it
> out.  I did check the modules.dep file and (I think it was called) modules-info
> file in that same directory and they list the dac960.o module for the Mylex
> controller.  There aren't any .o files anywhere on the temporary filesystem the
> cd makes (tried find /* -name .o -print and got nothing).
> /lib/module/<anything> doesn't exist.
>
> Guess I'll do some more digging and try to figure out which .img on the cd
> contains the additional drivers floppy image for booting and try the expert
> install again when I have it, sigh.  This is really pissing me off, never had
> this much trouble installing on a system before...

OK, found a drvblock.img on the RH cd and put it on a seperate disk.  Booted the
install floppy, selected expert mode, put in the extra drivers disk and
ctrl+alt+F2 and try insmod dac960.  Still nothing, worse, expert mode uses the X
install rather than text, so now I couldn't continue with the install.  Tried
again, this time without switching consoles and again it craps out saying there
was no where to install RH to, rebooting...  I guess I could try debian out on
it, but since I'm very unfamiliar with it I don't know how well I can secure it
or how to do upgrades and stuff.

If I could carry this system I'd bring it to an install fest, but it weighs well
over 50lbs and I'm just a skinny little guy.