RH7.2 install weirdness

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:12:38 -0700

> > So my question is, how the bloody hell do I get the RH installer to load
> > the dac960.o module so it can find the RAID Array and let me install it?
> > I can use expert install mode, but don't have a copy of that module to put
> > on a floppy for the installer to use.
>
> Switch to the shell on the second virtual terminal and look through
> /lib/module/<kernelversion> for the module. If you find it try using
> modprobe or insmod on it. It should be there if RH recognized it for the
> other box.

OK, switched to term 2 (alt + F2).  First took a look at what modules it had
loaded, then tried an insmod dac960.  Didn't load anything and I didn't see any
errors.  Tried to find the module itself, but it must be inside the
/modules/modules.cgz file and I don't know how to open that file up to get it
out.  I did check the modules.dep file and (I think it was called) modules-info
file in that same directory and they list the dac960.o module for the Mylex
controller.  There aren't any .o files anywhere on the temporary filesystem the
cd makes (tried find /* -name .o -print and got nothing).
/lib/module/<anything> doesn't exist.

Guess I'll do some more digging and try to figure out which .img on the cd
contains the additional drivers floppy image for booting and try the expert
install again when I have it, sigh.  This is really pissing me off, never had
this much trouble installing on a system before...