about SawFish

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 20:09:20 -0700

Hi,

  >> ... "Desk Guide" ...

  kb>> Create a floating panel.

Thank you for the tips on this. Yes, this works fine.
The Desk Guide is not glitzy like the one in
Enlightenment, but it does what is required, namely
gives me a navigation tool to switch between
workspaces.

One question, however ... According to the
documentation, a "floating panel" is supposed to be
able to be moved anywhere on the desktop. I don't seem
to be able to budge it no matter what combination of
buttons I press. My default panel is on the bottom,
like most people have it. The new one is glued to the
top left corner, and is vertically aligned.

I've recreated it three or four times in case I
inadvertently created the wrong type. Am I missing
something, or is there a bug there? I've been playing
with this stuff for about an hour.

Also, it seems to think I have two desktops. What I
want is a single desktop of four rows by two columns:

---------
|   |	|
|   |	|
---------
|   |	|
|   |	|
---------
|   |	|
|   |	|
---------
|   |	|
|   |	|
---------

like that. However, it seems to think I have two
desktops, with a second grid exactly like that one
shown right below the first (effectively 8 rows by 2
columns), and I can't find where that's defined. If I
select "Only show current desktop in pager" from the
Display tab in Propertis, I see what I want to, but the
fact that I have to select it suggests that it still
thinks there's at least one other desktop. Not a big
deal, except that if there is another desktop, it's
reserving twice as much memory.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your suggestions.

--