(no subject)

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 08 Mar 2002 02:52:18 -0700

"der.hans" wrote:

> Am 07. Mar, 2002 schwätzte Blake Barnett so:
>
> > The aliases are there for a good reason, they'll keep you from deleting
> > all your porn in one fell-swoop.
>
> They should've made aliases to other commmand names, e.g. rmi, mvi, irm,
> imv.

go thought until you understand that the aliasing was done to prevent
DoH's!

Have you ever done a:

  rm -r * .o

Please notice the space between the * and the .o  Happened to me in real
life on SOMEONE ELSES ACCOUNT!

> Bill had it right in mentioning that it's an alias in the shell
> initialization scripts.  You can change it there and it will change it for
> all shells just as it's, IMHO, currently incorrectly aliasing 'rm' to 'rm
> -i', etc.
>
> If you're using this in scripts, then you should use the '-f' option anyway.

the -f works on most of the newer distro's, but on older ones the
program does not overwride the -i by using a -f.  Hense my habbit of
using \rm ...

 EBo --