Consulting Fees (HIGHWAY robbery)

klsmith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:14:21 -0700

My experience is 2080 hours is the 40 X 52 figure that needs to be trimmed to
1800.

Now take out about half of that to attend to your accounting, sales (no money
made for presentations and meeting prospective customers) and mending your
own network and finally honing those new skills.

Now a $60,000 worker  does not have travel time on his time several times a
day.  He does not keep a track of his income and expenses and do all the
accounting required for a business.

On the budget side you need to add $2000 or $3000 for a yellow pages add,
connectivity
cell phone
attorney's fees
accountant
mileage on your car
office space
equipment,

ETC, ETC.

$60,000
    6,000  10% for unemployment SSE ETC
    6000  401 with matching
  12,000  for office space, phone, lights, air.....
    5000  milage on your car
     3000  training.....

Shall I go on?  We are at $92,000.  If I can bill 4 hours a day for 220 days
a year that is 880 hours a year of billing.  92,000 / 880 = $104.55 an hour.
just to make $60,000 a year with much more headaches!  And I forgot the
$4,000 to $6,000 a year you will spend on equipment, and advertising costs.

Now what is your risk worth?  What about your return on your investment?  Are
you in business to make a profit or because you like the lifestyle?

Don't forgit you need to know a lot more because you just became a one man
band!

Keith

PS you are right, $100 an hour is HIGHWAY robbery.  They are robbing from
you.  It is still too low!

Message: 8