about SawFish

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:11:47 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Lynn David Newton on 3/6/2002 11:56 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_ Esteemed Linuxers,
\_
\_ What are some prevailing opinions concerning the use of
\_ Sawfish as a window manager?

Sawfish rocks.

\_ I'm running RH Linux 7.1 with Gnome. I've used a
\_ variety of window managers, most recently (for the past
\_ eight months or more) Enlightenment, which has lots of
\_ eye candy, but is not bad. It pretty much does what I
\_ want. Maybe I should be content.

E has eye candy...but not the one feature I wanted (binding mouse keys
randomly).

\_ However, I am led to try Sawfish because I understand
\_ that it's especially tightly integrated with Gnome, and
\_ as a GNU project it's programmable (or will be?).

GNU doesn't have jack to do with programability.  The rep language
(lisp like) does.

\_ I'm a
\_ very-long-time emacs user and know elisp fairly well. I
\_ understand that Guile or some other Lisp-like language
\_ underpins Sawfish. This aspect of it is particularly
\_ appealing to me.

Go now and don't look back.

\_ On the other hand, Sawfish is presently at version 0.36

zzzt.  1.0.1.  sawfish.sourceforge.net

\_ (presumably at least a little later on RH 7.2?), and at
\_ first stab (I'm running it now), seems to be lacking
\_ entirely some features I want and need, or at least
\_ that I haven't been able to locate readily. So maybe I
\_ should just wait patiently until things grow a bit.

What are you looking for?  Depending, you can write it yourself.

\_ Anyhow, I'm happy to hear what others who have used it
\_ may think.

My first amusement was writing code to allow windows to be
moved/resized using elliptical outlines.  It was just *wrong* to place
rectangular windows with a round outline.  But I did it without a
recompile.  :-)

David