about SawFish

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:56:43 -0700

Esteemed Linuxers,

What are some prevailing opinions concerning the use of
Sawfish as a window manager?

I'm running RH Linux 7.1 with Gnome. I've used a
variety of window managers, most recently (for the past
eight months or more) Enlightenment, which has lots of
eye candy, but is not bad. It pretty much does what I
want. Maybe I should be content.

However, I am led to try Sawfish because I understand
that it's especially tightly integrated with Gnome, and
as a GNU project it's programmable (or will be?). I'm a
very-long-time emacs user and know elisp fairly well. I
understand that Guile or some other Lisp-like language
underpins Sawfish. This aspect of it is particularly
appealing to me.

On the other hand, Sawfish is presently at version 0.36
(presumably at least a little later on RH 7.2?), and at
first stab (I'm running it now), seems to be lacking
entirely some features I want and need, or at least
that I haven't been able to locate readily. So maybe I
should just wait patiently until things grow a bit.

Anyhow, I'm happy to hear what others who have used it
may think.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ