anti dot-net spew

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 01:02:37 -0500

Excellent points!!!  Especially about the constant upgrade path.

Consider this:
1.  Assume Java is backward compatible.  I think it mostly is,
and the parts that are not, the compiler warns you about using
a depricated api.
2.  Java 1,0 programs still work in a 1.2 JVM, right?
3.  Sun supports their OS's for 5 years after they are declared
at end of life.  This announcement was made for Solaris 2.6
about a year ago.  Microsoft hasn't supported any product version
for five years yet.

With these considerations, figure out the total cost of ownership
for the project, from birth to death.  Use Microsoft's track
record.  You know they will force you to upgrade OS at least
every 3 years.  Also consider the price of hardware.  Sun boxes
and AIX boxes are more expensive than Intel-based Compaqs or IBMs.

Have fun!

George