anti dot-net spew

Sundar Narayanasamy plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 13:12:09 -0700

Joseph,

This is what I infer by reading .NET, though I might be biased as I have
successfully worked/implemented quite a few J2EE projects.

                1. .NET is not just a framework on how to develop your
application, you have to buy middle layer support that would enable you
to run .NET apps. Of course these middle layer products are released by
M$ and you pay a hefty price for that.
                    Even J2EE needs J2EE complaint servers to support
their framework, but you can get better than commercial grade free
software like JBoss, Enhydra totally free.

                2. Even when you buy M$ software, lot of times you have
to train your employees and/or pay lot of money for support contract
with M$.( I am implementing MS SMS for our company and had few questions
about certain things, but when I asked the questions in their News
Group, one of the M$ representative politely asked me take advantage of
their current specials on training sessions-- i.e $3000 for one day
session in Las Vegas)

                3. .NET implements M$ way of developing applications
that are tightly integrated to one another(though they claim otherwise).
It is not based on MVC model, which any object oriented programmer would
swear by.

               4. I haven't yet read field case studies on successful
enterprise level .NET implementations outside Microsoft; whereas J2EE
has many to go by.

               5. And since M$ always ties their software releases with
Operating System and Servers, you have to upgrade your hardware/software
regularly to get continuous support from M$ and their vendors. My
philosophy is - if it works why fix it. ( We have some old Venix
systems, which we still use actively; they work!)

                etc..

Sundar