Problems with DHCPCD and Cox.net

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:43:17 -0700

* Lee Einer (Appealsman@cox.net) wrote:

> I had no appreciable problems connecting until yesterday. I have
> verified that DHCPCD is still starting at boot-up and is running.
> Ifconfig shows that the network connection is up, and the ip addresses
> look valid to me, although on one or two occasions when I have run it
> the RX line shows that a large amount of data has been dropped.

Have you noticed any connectivity degradation?  I mean, are you unable
to access the inet?  More symptoms please.  However, if you're concern is
based exclusively on the RX count being larger than the TX count, worry
not.  It's to be expected.  Scanning and probes for unavailable exploitable
services will leave RX > TX.

To belabour the point with an example.  My gateway's external interface
uses dhcpcd to get it's ip and shows [edited]:

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
          inet addr:68.3.24X.XX  Bcast:68.3.247.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          Collisions:7800

hth,
Gontran