Grammar, Was: PLUG Logo Update!

Robert N. Eaton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 11:35:27 -0400

On Saturday 29 June 2002 03:38 pm, you wrote:
> Hmm...  Any English professors in the audience?  We could do:
>
> User
> Users
> User's
> Users'
>
> All of these examples can be found in use by other Linux groups on the
> 'net.  We're a group of "Linux users," but we're also a "user group."  So
> I guess it depends on where you put the emphasis on the phrase.  The Linux
> group in Portland uses:
> "Portland Linux Unix Group" which gets rid of the "is it plural or not"
> problem all together.  ;-)
> ~M
If you want to get excessively grammatical:

	User = noun, sungular
	Users= noun, plural
	User's = noun, singular, possessive
	Users' = noun, plural, possessive

Any of the four could grammatically appear before "Group" .

"User's" implies "only one".  Sort of "I am the only Linux user."
"Users'" implies "many."  "I am one of many Linux users."
"User" and "Users" act as noun adjuncts; that is, nouns acting as adjectives
telling "what kind of" group just as in "school house" , "school" tells "what
kind of house.

My choice would be "Users" as it implies multiple users, and lacks the
clutter of the apostrophe, which, in a logo, is really unnecessary.

--
Bob Eaton

Curiosity didn't kill the cat: it was lack of information.