Netsaint

Lowell Hamilton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
27 Jun 2002 15:50:48 -0700

> maybe a better question would be, is Netsaint worth the hassle? are there
> better tools for this that are easier to setup?

Depends on what you want to monitor .. if you want to check a tiny
webserver or just a couple little hosts with the most basic checks,
netsaint is a lot of extra hassle.  Netsaint doesn't become really handy
until  you start implementing larger networks or have several hosts
monitoring  dozens of services each.  I have a 5100-point of failure
netsaint install going watching almost 100 points of failure on several
machines, something no other opensource monitoring software could handle
without blowing the system up or becoming unmaintainable.  For small
stuff though, hit freshmeat .. software like bigbrother would probably
work.

In regards to your problem, it sounds like NEAT set the userid in
/usr/local/netsaint/etc/netsaint.cfg  to apacheuser ... edit this file
and make sure all the paths and users are correct for what you need.

Lowell