(no subject)

slr plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:38:23 -0700

On Thursday 27 June 2002 05:14 am, George Toft wrote:
> When a business person looks at a shift in technology, they must
> consider retraining and migration costs.  I spend about and hour per day
> (less now that we fixed a glaring design error from a Big 5 Consulting
> firm that we paid almost 7 figures to) talking with people who are
> confused by a statement like this: "Please answer three of the five
> questions below."  This is demonstrated to me daily as people answer all
> five questions.
>
> There is a substantial difference between you/me, and the average
> corporate PC user.  Business must take these factors into account when
> making migration and upgrade plans.  Enlightenment is eye-candy, and not
> well suited for a business setting - business needs consistency,
> reliability and repeatability.  A system that is consistent with what
> most people are used to is important.

This is all very true and valid, but like i said before i could never see
Enlightenment as the main focus of comparisons. In a business enviornment KDE
is the most mature choice IMHO, its stable and has great M$ office support.
it is what i run on my primary workstation here at work, as we are actively
working on migrating users machines over to Linux, and KDE 3.0 is winning
over Gnome. But, Install Fests arent totally geared towards business
conversions anyway, right? werent they were brought about by the need to help
people install Linux, not to sell them on what Desktop enviornment they
should use.

Enlightenment is total Eye-Candy, but very functional, configurable and stable
Eye-Candy when not running on top of Gnome. so yes there is a substantial
difference between you/me and the average corporate user. but there are those
people who fall into the catagory of you/me that make their way to install
fests, and these may people enjoy seeing the many faces of Linux. :~D

slr