SuSE 7.3 sparc64

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 23:07:23 -0700 (MST)

Am 26. Jun, 2002 schwätzte slr so:

> but is it really the active hostname. it does not change /etc/hosts

/etc/hosts has nothing to do with what the real hostname. It's better if it
does list the name, but that's not required.

> or /etc/HOSTNAME, i can display the hostname that i changed it to with #

/etc/HOSTNAME is probably either read or written at boot time, but should
otherwise be ignored.

> hostname, but if i reboot the machine it reverts back to the old hostname.

Yeah, which is why you have to change it however your system wants it
changed. 'hostname blah' is then the way to 'kill -i hostnamed' to make the
change active :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans