PostgreSQL versus MySQL (fwd)

Joel Dudley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:11:24 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_e3NOKOHkKZWFYpJrn6nnOg)

In my opinion the speed difference between PostgreSQL and MySQL is
negligible. Tim Perdue from SourceForge did a study a while back
demonstrating that the newer PostgreSQL was actually faster than MySQL in
some cases. Trigger and PL support in PGSQL is very nice and I have never
been let down by PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL is the foundational database for all
of my Genomics research projects. I am transparently bias on the subject
because I have been burned by MySQL a few times so take that into
consideration. A replication daemon for PostgreSQL is also coming along
nicely.

Joel Dudley
Faculty Research Associate
Arizona State University
Kumar Laboratory of Evolutionary Functional Genomics
http://lsweb.la.asu.edu/skumar/

-----Original Message-----
From: William Lindley [mailto:wlindley@wlindley.com]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 9:13 PM
To: Phoenix Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL (fwd)

who is not on the PLUG list writes:

--------

PostgreSQL supports triggers, constraints, PL, subqueries, and serveral
other things.

MySQL supports replication, precompiled queries (huge speed up on resident
code), and is optimized for throughput in addition to speed.

Both of them are very fast, and out perform almost all commercial
databases, hands down.

I wouldn't sweat it too much either way unless you specificly need a
feature that only one or the other has. They are both excellent systems.

I'd use MySQL where speed was the biggist factor.

I'd use Postgres where complex reporting or building a large
("Enterprise") data warehouse was the concern.

-scott

--Boundary_(ID_e3NOKOHkKZWFYpJrn6nnOg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2655.35">
<TITLE>RE: PostgreSQL versus MySQL (fwd)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>In my opinion the speed difference between PostgreSQL =
and MySQL is negligible. Tim Perdue from SourceForge did a study a =
while back demonstrating that the newer PostgreSQL was actually faster =
than MySQL in some cases. Trigger and PL support in PGSQL is very nice =
and I have never been let down by PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL is the =
foundational database for all of my Genomics research projects. I am =
transparently bias on the subject because I have been burned by MySQL a =
few times so take that into consideration. A replication daemon for =
PostgreSQL is also coming along nicely. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Joel Dudley</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Faculty Research Associate</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Arizona State University</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Kumar Laboratory of Evolutionary Functional =
Genomics</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A HREF=3D"http://lsweb.la.asu.edu/skumar/" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://lsweb.la.asu.edu/skumar/</A></FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: William Lindley [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:wlindley@wlindley.com">mailto:wlindley@wlindley.com</A>]<=
/FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 9:13 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: Phoenix Linux Users Group</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL (fwd)</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>In response to the earlier question, Scott Walters =
&lt;phaedrus@illogics.org&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>who is not on the PLUG list writes:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>--------</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>PostgreSQL supports triggers, constraints, PL, =
subqueries, and serveral</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>other things.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>MySQL supports replication, precompiled queries (huge =
speed up on resident</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>code), and is optimized for throughput in addition =
to speed.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Both of them are very fast, and out perform almost =
all commercial</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>databases, hands down.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I wouldn't sweat it too much either way unless you =
specificly need a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>feature that only one or the other has. They are =
both excellent systems.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'd use MySQL where speed was the biggist =
factor.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'd use Postgres where complex reporting or building =
a large</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(&quot;Enterprise&quot;) data warehouse was the =
concern.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-scott</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>See <A =
HREF=3D"http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml</A> if =
your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to =
write mail.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>PLUG-discuss mailing list&nbsp; -&nbsp; =
PLUG-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss" =