IPCop

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:11:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- robert jorgenson <snoogans@qwest.net> wrote:
> i was at the installfest today and installed IPCop
> on an extra box that i had, im trying to figure out
> how i need to set it up, i have qwest's vdsl which
> means that there is this gateway box sitting in our
> living room with a TV cable in and a TV cable and
> ethernate cable out acting as a dhcp server. I would
> assume i setup IPCop to get its ip from the gateway
> box and set it to act as a dhcp server for the rest
> of my network, however i am very new to networking
> and i am not sure exactly if that will work or what
> i have to do, any pointers in the right direction
> would be great :) Im reading the docs on the IPCop
> website right now hopefully i will come up with
> something from there too.

Hey Robert (it's me feend),
I'm using IPCop too. I have it setup though so that
just the gateway machine is using dhcp to get an IP.
My other machines are using the unreserved 192.168.x.x
range. So like the machine i'm on right now is
192.168.1.2 and I have a second nic in the gateway
machine with the IP 192.168.1.1. IP cop makes this
process pretty easy and enables NAT by default. Hope
that helped some. If you're still stuck I'll get on
irc and try and talk you through it.