Help getting experience - explaining myself

MCR plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

Perhaps I should explain myself.  I do love
programming, but compared to many of the
programmers I see, I don't think
I would be too successful in finding a job
as a programmer.  I do well in the
programming classes, and at home, I just
really do not know how much I know because I have
never really create programs in a working
environment.  I am planning on taking the java
certification test in late August, though

The networking comes about because it fascinates me.
That is the area I would like to go into is to write
software for networking.  However, I feel I need to
know the in's and out's of different networks to be
able to accomplish much.  I have a small network at
home, and as the funds allow, I do try to grow the
network to learn different things, i.e. Samba, NFS,
and the next thing is to set up a Gateway.  The only
thing about this is at home, with just me being the
user, I don't know what type of things happen in the
"real world" with different users.  Another thing
is the network sitting at home does not help me get a
job.  This does not seem to help too much as
experience. The employer doesn't know what is going at
my apartment.

  The other thing is the fact that I want out of the
hotel industry and into the computer field.  That is
why I said any computer related job would do.  Sitting
in a back office doing upgrades would be better than
what I am doing.

  The main point is that I am an older man, and I
would
really like to get to the point that I can get a job
that I enjoy and pays reasonably.  A few months ago,
someone sent in an e-mail asking how someone could get
experience.  Someone replied to find someone that is
doing what you are interested in and try to work with
them and learn the "ropes".  This was just my way of
doing that.

    Sorry for the long e-mail,

                   mike