Help getting experience

Joel Dudley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:32:53 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_tXyl0/9xIm4YavANAGQDkA)

As a faculty member at ASU that works with many student programmers I have a
few comments to share with you. Are you majoring in computer science so you
can program 9-5 or are you geting into computer science because you want the
luxury of getting paid for your passion? Both scenarios are valid, however
the paradigms involved in the two scenarios can have a great affect on your
ability to achieve your desired professional role. If you simply want to
program 9-5 and check your code-fu at the door when you come home (which is
perfectly acceptable) chances are that 99% of your programming efforts go
towards class work. If you are passionate about programming you've likely
spent late nights in front of the monitor developing some new firmware for
your toaster oven because the firmware that came with it always burns your
toast. Of course, in this scenario, the individual will likely put projects
like toaster firmware and Kids In The Hall MPEG-4 web bots at a higher
priority than his/her schoolwork. Although this individual's grades may be
mediocre at best, their passion for development will be overwhelmingly
apparent to anyone who inquires. In my experience people who see programming
as simply a job are somewhat detached from their projects (Not always
however) and will simply do what it takes to meet the requirements.
Passionate developers usually exceed all requirements due to the personal
pride associated with quality of the product. Ideally, in my opinion, one
would be passionate about their professional goals AND get good grades to
reflect their passion in their work. Consider a scenario in which an
employer has to choose between two applicants. The first applicant is a good
programmer, got great grades in school, has a good work ethic, and portrays
a professional demeanor. The second applicant has average grades but is the
primary investigator for four Source Forge projects and talks excitedly and
at length about his projects as if they were his children. Both of these
individuals are qualified for the position, but in my experience it is the
second applicant that will get the job.
  The tone of your message makes it sound as if you would "settle" for any
computer job although you are really interested in networking. Don't settle,
get some 486's at ASU surplus for $5 a piece and network them together.
Develop some strange network software (Bayesian route path determination,
Intelligent route caching) and throw it up on Source Forge. This is how you
create experience for yourself and demonstrate your passion for your desired
professional domain. I hope this made sense and was helpful to you in some
way. Of course all opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily
the views of Arizona State University.

Joel Dudley
Faculty Research Associate
Arizona State University
Kumar Laboratory of Evolutionary Functional Genomics
http://lsweb.la.asu.edu/skumar/