SMTP mail relay server for SPAM filtering

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:11:11 -0700

Mike wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:01:38AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>  On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 01:03, Scott Henderson wrote:
>  > My company, like many, I'm sure, is wrestling with spam email.
>  > Currently we're handling it manually, creating blocks on our
>  > Exchange server based on IP addresses.  We are not being given
>  > any budget to solve this problem, but we do have a few spare
>  > servers sitting around.  I'm thinking this may be an opportunity
>  > to show the MS-based IT Dept what can be done with some Open
>  > Source software.  I'd like suggestions on how to set up an SMTP
>  > mail relay box and anti-spam software.  I have a year or so
>  > experience with a few Linux distros on my desktop and laptop at
>  > home, so I'm no wizard, but I can usually find my way around.
>  > Is this doable? We average around 6-700 SMTP emails per hour
>  > during the day, and spike to maybe 1500 on occasion.  I want to
>  > set the box up inside the DMZ, in front of the Exchange server,
>  > and just have it relay to and from that box.  What distro?  What
>  > software?  How to config?  Any HOWTOs on this or other resources?
>  > Thanks much!
>  ----
>  spam assassin
>
>  <http://spamassassin.org/>
>
>  use whatever distro.
>
>  I would have this box the primary mx for incoming mail. Check it with
>  spam assassin and then forward it to the exchange server.

also need to decide up front how you will deal with spam...  Can you
actually just throw it away?   Many places send it on anyway but have it
taged so the end user can decide.  Another possibility is to dump it in
a waiting pen and have someone delete it once.  Other legal messages can
be forwarded on...

  EBo --