SMTP mail relay server for SPAM filtering

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:25:08 -0500

I agree with Craig. I'd also throw in some
Qmail and Debian specs as well :-)

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:01:38AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
 On Thu, 2002-06-20 at 01:03, Scott Henderson wrote:
 > My company, like many, I'm sure, is wrestling with spam email.
 > Currently we're handling it manually, creating blocks on our
 > Exchange server based on IP addresses.  We are not being given
 > any budget to solve this problem, but we do have a few spare
 > servers sitting around.  I'm thinking this may be an opportunity
 > to show the MS-based IT Dept what can be done with some Open
 > Source software.  I'd like suggestions on how to set up an SMTP
 > mail relay box and anti-spam software.  I have a year or so
 > experience with a few Linux distros on my desktop and laptop at
 > home, so I'm no wizard, but I can usually find my way around.
 > Is this doable? We average around 6-700 SMTP emails per hour
 > during the day, and spike to maybe 1500 on occasion.  I want to
 > set the box up inside the DMZ, in front of the Exchange server,
 > and just have it relay to and from that box.  What distro?  What
 > software?  How to config?  Any HOWTOs on this or other resources?
 > Thanks much!
 ----
 spam assassin

 <http://spamassassin.org/>

 use whatever distro.

 I would have this box the primary mx for incoming mail. Check it with
 spam assassin and then forward it to the exchange server.

 Craig