Need Help with Redhat 7.3 Install

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:12:36 -0700

I gave Mark a call this morning, but thought I'd send this out to the list since
several people have had this issue with RH7.3 and PCMCIA support on laptops.

To fix this requires a rebuild of the kernel and the removal of the pcmcia rpm
package from the system.

rpm -e kernel-pcmcia-cs

Grab the src.rpm for kernel-2.4.18 and the raw tar.gz for the kernel from
kernel.org
wget
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/7.3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.18-4.src.rpm
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.18.tar.gz
wget
http://telia.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/pcmcia-cs/pcmcia-cs-3.1.34.tar.gz
cd /usr/src
tar -xvzf ~/linux-2.4.18.tar.gz
rpm -ivh ~/kernel-2.4.18.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
cp kernel-config-<architecture> /usr/src/linux/.config

Alter the config of the kernel:
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

Remove PCMCIA Support
General setup -> PCMCIA/CardBus support -> PCMCIA/CardBus support
hit n to remove it, then exit config and save the changes

make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

Wait for it to finish.  On my P150 this took most of the night to do.

cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
cp bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18

Assuming you are using grub, edit /etc/grub.conf
Assuming you are using lilo, edit /etc/lilo.conf, then rerun lilo

Easy way to edit both is to copy the config that is currently booting and rename
kernel it is loading.

Reboot the system and select the recently compiled kernel.

Now rebuild PCMCIA support.

cd /usr/src
tar -xvzf ~/pcmcia-cs-3.1.34.tar.gz
cd pcmcia-cs-3.1.34
make config && make all && make install

You should be able to accept the defaults during make config.  Once done test by
starting it up.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start

Hope this helps.