Sending out press release - LAST CALL!

Dennis Kibbe plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 20:41:00 -0700

This includes suggestions from hans and Bill Lindley. Also, I've removed
quotes around "Open Source" and "Free Software" which I thought unneccessary
and too M$-like as in the Myrth of "free software."

I plan to go to press on Thurday latest unless there are any show stoppers.

Dennis
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

LOCAL USERS GROUP OFFERS FREE GNU/LINUX INSTALLATION HELP

On Saturday, June 22, the Phoenix Linux Users Group (PLUG) invites the public
to a "GNU/Linux InstallFest" at Scottsdale Community College. Attendees will
receive expert help in installing Linux, a freely available operating system,
on their personal computers.

After the InstallFest, users who brought their computers along can in many
cases go home with working systems installed on their machines, free of
charge. The package includes web browsers, word processors, and other usual
tools that computer users expect.

PLUG's organizer for the event is William Lindley, a computer consultant.
"This is what the Free Software community is all about - helping each other,
and we'll be helping folks get started," Lindley explained. "We're all
looking forward to this InstallFest."

The software is an alternative to Windows and other proprietary systems.
Linux, GNU, FreeBSD and other Open Source and Free Software systems do not
require any licensing or upgrade fees, and are said by many experts to be
more efficient and secure than Windows systems.

Businesses and home users alike are turning to Free Software which can be
freely copied, modified, or examined, and which is considered by computer
experts to be more robust and secure than proprietary systems.

Though there is no charge, the term Free Software actually refers to freedom
from license restrictions: Users are never asked to click "I Agree" to a list
of prohibitions before using it, and organizations need not store
"Certificates of Authenticity" in their safe deposit boxes in case of an
audit.

The Free Software products are available at no charge through the Internet or
as an inexpensive distribution at most local computer stores, but the
InstallFest offers users a completed installation by experienced Linux and
FreeBSD administrators. Computer users are invited to bring their computers
to the event. Usually, only the computer box, monitor, keyboard and mouse
need be brought - see the PLUG web page for details.

"Your old operating system can remain as an alternative, or we can replace it
entirely," Lindley said, "depending on your plans for the machine and how
much disk space you have to spare."

"This is a important next step in development of computers and the Internet --
making them more affordable and more secure," Lindley said. "We are here to
show how easy it can be for computer users to move up to the next level."

The event will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the College's Turquoise
Room, at 9000 E. Chaparral Rd., Scottsdale, AZ. A map is available online at
PLUG's web site, ( http://plug.phoenix.az.us ).

PLUG members will be available to answer questions about Linux, Open Source
software, and the Phoenix Linux Users Group as well.

For more information about the InstallFest, email contact@plug.phoenix.az.us
or call William Lindley at 480-947-6100

PLUG is an informal group that holds several monthly meetings, on both the
East and West sides of Phoenix, to talk about what they've recently done with
Linux, GNU and Open Source software; to share problems and solutions, and to
discuss issues in the world of Free Software and computers in general.
Knowledge of Linux is neither presumed nor required. Between meetings, PLUG
members stay in touch through a busy e-mail discussion list.

More information about PLUG can be found on the website at
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/ .

Scottsdale Community College offers two year degree programs in many
disciplines including computers, arts, and science. SCC also offers
university transfer programs and special interest courses, and has hosted
several Free Software events.