Thanks to PLUG

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:47:16 -0700

I first got started in Linux due to my CSE200 professor at ASU (who is on the
ASULUG list) because I needed to be able to write and debug C/C++ programs
before turning them in on the General Unix servers.  I got RH4.2 and put it on a
P166 tower I had built.  I moved on, going from version to version of Red Hat as
new releases came out.  With the help of PLUG I was able to setup a DEC Alpha
Multia to act as a Firewall for my DSL connection, now the Cisco 675 is doing
NAT in PPP mode (used to be in bridging mode).  I've been dual booting my
Panasonic Toughbook CF-25mkII between Win95/RedHat Linux and have slowly been
learning enough that I have fewer reasons to boot into Windows (Starcraft still
runs best under Win95 on my poor little P150 rather than in Wine).  This weekend
I wiped the linux partitions out and freshly installed RH7.3.  PCMCIA didn't
work (stupid Yenta Socket driver) and Xwindows wouldn't do more than 640x480
(stupid Xconfigurator).  Thanks to past help I've gotten from everyone on this
list I was able to build a new kernel and reconfigure X to do 1024x768.  The
longest part of the debug was rebuilding the kernel and pcmcia_cs packages.  As
a side benefit, the format and install actually helped me get my Orinoco
Wireless card working under linux, so now I can use both Linux and Windows
anywhere in the house.

All this thanks to the help of others on this list.