Windows and Linux

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:39:53 -0400

CodeWeavers have a product (called CrossPoint I *think*) that gives you DirectX support on Linux. I think its just based off of the Wine code but when I used it it worked *very* well. Wait a min now that I think about it it wasn't the CodeWeavers product I used. it was the Transgamming product (http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=25). I only loaded it up on my computer then brought up some games. So I don't know how well extended play would work. But installation was easy. Later I did some upgrades on other software which broke it. I not  *really * much of a gammer so I haven't really bothered with it since.

Carl P.
From: Derek Neighbors <derek@gnue.org>
Date: 2002/06/03 Mon PM 07:30:37 EDT
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: RE: Windows and Linux

> Ok, this is intriguing to me.  I am looking to migrate my house over to Linux,
but I have some apps for which I cannot find comparable *nix substitutes. (Believe it or
not, the request to move torward Linux is at my wife's request)

I am curious as to what applications?

> So, those who have experienced VMware, win4lin, and the like, can you offer me your
best suggestions as far as which you prefer and which flavor of Linux you believe is most
solid with your choice?  Also, any gotchas that you can think of would be most helpful.

I still love Carl's answer to this one, the best GNU\Linux distro you
could possibly use, is the one that will give you the most support.
Generally that means, use what your friends use.

I think Debian GNU\Linux is the best of all worlds, but certainly it's
hard to go wrong with about any major distrobution.

As to windows under GNU\Linux, what I said below pretty much applies.  If
you arent willing to 'pay' for a solution, Wine is probably the only
solution out there, if you are willing to pay, I think Win4Lin is the best
product, but VMWare is interesting if you have need for virtual machines
other than just windows.

> Also, has anyone run into problems with accessing Windows only devices using either of these options?

Win4Lin has problems with DirectX I think, butyou would have to consult
their site to verify what is or isnt supported.

-derek