Advocacy Focus Groups?

Michelle Lowman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 12:35:22 -0700

I think this is a great idea. From my English teacher/copy editor
point-of-view, I think it is very important that any advocacy or GNU/Linux
materials should be technically, factually, and GRAMMATICALLY correct. If
you have punctuation flaws, grammar errors, misspellings, etc., it
diminishes the impact of your presentation. If we decide not to implement
these lower-volume lists, you can still run your advocacy materials past me
for a free read-through and edit. I've also done a bit of design and layout
(more print than electronic, so if you're a professional web designer, I
won't try to tell you how to do your job), so I can take a look at that as
well if you like.

BTW, I'm designing some new T-shirts with a GNU/Linux theme to promote
Clarity Editorial & Design Services, and I'll have them on my site later
today.  I'll post the URL as soon as they're done.

-Michelle

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Robert
Bushman
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 9:45 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Advocacy Focus Groups?

I was just thinking about all the hard work that
a number of people are doing currently on
presentations that will be presented at IF2.
I was thinking it might be nice for them to
have some standard resources to go to who
would accept the duty of providing a head-check
in focused areas.

EG: I'd love to be on the business case focus
group - the group that looks at a presentation
to offer advice on how to make it more appealing
to private enterprise.

At the same time, I'd probably not join the
sysadmin focus group, as my insight would be
very limited.

I'm kind of thinking of a set of publicly available
mailing lists on the PLUG site, or maybe AZOTO.org.
The unifying theme among the groups would be Linux
and/or Free Software advocacy.

The intent would not be to reduce the value of
public commentary on PLUG-discuss, but rather to
create some lower volume groups where the list
members feel more compelled to read and reflect
on a larger percentage of the posts - in their
specific areas of expertise - to ensure the
availability of a focused peer-review process
for those who take the time to create these
critical documents.

Maybe:
business-case: motivation from a capitalist perspective
editor: grammar, spelling, etc
graphic-design: beautification
freedom: the freedom to use information
administrator: real-world system maintenance

Thoughts?

 'Microsoft also warned today that the era of "open computing," the
 free exchange of digital information that has defined the personal
 computer industry, is ending.'

 http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/25/technology/25NET.html

 Will Microsoft permit you to use your mission critical data when
 you need it?  Linux will, and you have the source to prove it.