VMware

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:09:28 -0400

robert jorgenson wrote:

> Okay i just setup VMware and it works great i think i can finally remove my windows partition :) A few problems though, i cant figure out how to get my parallel zip drive to work, ive narrowed it down to vmware not seeing lpt1 ... how can i make it do that? also is it possible to have VMware use a real partition and if i could, could i mount it while vmware is using it? Also i have an 8 gig partition on my disk that i use for mp3's is there a way to have VMware see that partition as an extra drive and write to it and have it mounted in linux so i can play my MP3's? i need it to do that because i use KaZaa to download my mp3's(the spyware free version) and havent been able to get it to work in wine =/ Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>                                                          BoBB

VMWare will read your real partition and use it.  At that point you have
the option to commit any changes to the partition, save them in a temp
file, or discard them.  Since Windows thinks you just changed out every
piece of hardware you own, you will go through the "Found New Hardware
... reboot" routine from hell.

As far as LPT1 goes, I battling that myself.

Regarding your mp3 partition, I see two solutions:
1.  Mount it as a new drive in VMWare (Settings | Configuration Editor |
IDE Drives | P-S Not Installed | Then config the disk partition).
2.  Mount it under Linux, and use samba to share it out.  Under VMWare,
mount the network drive.  I recommend this as you can listen to the
mp3's under Linux.  Sound is crappy under VMWare.

I found phex is a very good gnutella client.  It is java-based, open
source, graphical, and runs under Linux :)

George

--
If you feel you have received a virus from me, please read
	http://www.georgetoft.com/virus.html