spammingbureau.com

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:14:05 -0700

This site says that they blackhole the spammers that
you report, and no "opt-out" company would want to get
blackholed.  So something is fishy here.

Anyway, note that current blackholing practice tends to
"taint" a lot of legitimate portals that have had the
bad fortune of being reported as spammers.  The site
that I use as my primary e-mail host blocked half of the
mail from a friend on Earthlink (depending on which
nodes within Earthlink carried the message); blocked a
few people contacting me about jobs (ouch!!!); and even
blocked a fellow PLUG webmaster because some spam was
relayed via PLUG's "webmaster" and "contact" aliases.
This is how mindlessly broad the RBH brush is.

So please, DON'T REPORT SPAM.  These services throw the
baby out with the bathwater!  After having missed some
employment contacts, I won't go near these things again.

(My other account has been reconfigured to accept spam.
I filter it into a junk folder where it's easy to spot
any legitimate messages.)

Vic