OT: Consumer Advertising Law

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:15:23 -0500 (CDT)

I have some retail experience but am not a lawyer.

I believe the department of weights and measures enforces such things.
However, I think that if someone advertises something and then doesnt
deliver (its false advertising), but I believe there are some provisions
that allow them to instore state if there was a misprint on the
advertisement.  (I have seen this on several occassions).

I think what gets enforced is if you go to a store and on the shelf its
say 9.99 but get to the register and it rings 19.99.  This is a major
no-no and you can certainly take action.  This is why many stores say if
we dont give you a receipt or if something rings up wrong we will give you
$5.00 or the item for free or such.  Because they would rather have
consumer catch a computer error/signage error and pay them a few bucks
then get fined by weights and measures.

So if the signage in the store has the lower price you could probably make
a stink but if its just an ad and the in store display has the other price
I think they are within the law (though they should have a sign stating
the ad was incorrect).  It still might be worth reporting as if they
consistently do this I think there will be action taken against them.

-Derek

 On Fri, 19 Jul