Interesting Article - Linux users going back to $M

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 07:56:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Victor Odhner wrote:

> Salespeople, executives, and artists for the most part
> want to use the machine to get results, and they want
> their Ferrari to drive like a Geo only faster.
> Point it down the street, step on the gas, and go.
> You shouldn't have to designate the octane rating,
> specify which side of the road we'll drive on, and
> go under the hood to turn the ignition key.

While I agree with your point, in this specific
case, I don't think you can get a 575 Maranello
with an automatic transmission. And I wouldn't be
surprised if it voids your warranty if you don't
use premium and synthetic oil (and in a proper
world, you would be relieved of your ownership
privileges). I know Harley Davidson mechanics
lack any sense of humour when it comes to using
premium and 50 weight.

But then, I would liken Ferrari and Harley
Davidson to, perhaps, Debian and Slackware - not
Mandrake and Red Hat. Vive la difference.