PLUG CD .iso(s)

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:04:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, der.hans wrote:

> We need to create a list of Free Software for m$ that we'd like to promote.
>
> Open Office
> GIMP
> Apache
> SSH?
> Evolution?
> Mozilla?
> VIM?
> Xemacs? ( emacs? )

Just spitballing here:

The OpenOffice all-platform CD sounds like a
great CD to publish. I was thinking it would
be nice to also toss Mozilla on there. Then
I read this and thought maybe we could do
sort of a "greatest hits" CD.

Might it be worthwhile to have platform
dependant CDs - we could have "OpenOffice For
The Whole Office", and the "Best of Free Software
for (Windows, Mac, Mandrake, SuSE, Red Hat,
Debian, Solaris, FreeBSD, etc)".

For the "Best Of Free Software For <Platform>",
visions of graphical installers start to dance
in my head.

What about a platform independant best-of?
Include the source tarballs and the GNU tools
for platforms that don't come with them (EG:
Cygwin).

Would be a bit of a maintenance nightmare,
but we could put it on Sourceforge...
Heck, I wonder if this is already a work in
progress somewhere?

Just spitballing, does any of this sound good?