Missing window managers?

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 11:37:28 -0700

I fixed a Mandrake 7 box with problems like this a couple years ago by using a
combination of rpm, cat, grep and some temporary files.

Using rpm, I made a list of all packages w/ KDE in the name. I then used rpm
to get validate (check) all of the files in all of the packages and tell me
what was wrong with any of them > the modified/missing/corrupted files
redirected into a file. Using rpm to tell me which packages these files came
from, I then forced a re-install of those packages.

The box did all of the hard work. I spent most of my time reading the man page
for rpm and took a couple smoke breaks. The computer seemed like it churned
and worked for 30-40 minutes. This worked like a charm(tm). Susan's daughter
continues to use this box to this day. (I know... definitly due for an upgrade)

KevinO